Feel The Burn - July 14 & 15


It's hot and my lips are burned! Ok, I'll stop complaining...

Day two was more dirt road walking, but the panoramic views dominated my attention and the miles passed quickly. In 26 miles of walking I counted three trucks, four quads, and six hikers. I usually introduced myself as "just a section hiker," but one northbound thru-hiker encouraged me with this description: "LASHER" (long ass section hiker). I camped alone in a shallow saddle between two rolling hills and laid awake for a couple of hours as a thunder storm passed by. Nothing like some wind, rain, lighting and thunder to welcome me back to the trail.

On day three, the dirt roads abruptly ended. The route alternated between faint trails on brush covered rolling hills and wandering through thick blow down. By blow down I mean a dense forest with many fallen trees that not only obscure the route but serve as formidable obstacles. By the end of the day, I completed 21 miles and camped at approximately 10,300 feet. I went to bed with the wind buffeting my tent satisfied with my progress and knowing tomorrow I'll reach Battle Pass and hitch into Encampment, Wyoming for my first resupply.

Comments