I want an "I Survived The Gila River" t-shirt! That was a mental and physical challenge I'm not looking to repeat...ever. My feet are not in good shape after being wet for two days and the river gravel did a number on my shoes and socks. I don't get new shoes and socks for another 260 miles. I hope these make it that far...
This forest service cabin is in pretty good repair for being so remote. No evidence that it has been used for quite some time. Maybe it's for sale?
I took a break from the river for a few miles and hiked an alternate trail. It was appropriately 4 miles longer than following the river, it ended up being faster because the river route is very slowI hiked later than normal to finish the river and reach Snow Lake. When I arrived four young men from Denver offered me a tortilla with meat and cheese, and a refreshing drink. The meat was seasoned with "Slap Your Mama" seasoning and I loved it. I told them they are now officially trail angels.
I'm praying my shoes, socks, and feet dry out overnight and I'm ready for another long day tomorrow. It's 9:30 pm and hiker midnight is 8:00 pm so it's time to say good night!




What good stories. It's like being there.
ReplyDeleteI am surprised they are carrying those iron skillets. They are very heavy. I guess they spread them out over four people it is not quite so bad. I am thankful for trail angels for you. Hike on.
ReplyDeleteWow! It's all I can say! I don't know another being with your drive and ambition!!! So thankful for your stories and updates! Praying for your feet and for many more trail angels along the way!!
ReplyDelete