Today I hiked the lower section of the Gila River. I crossed the river over 50 times in approximately 12 miles. My feet were wet all day and I had to stop frequently to remove sand and small river rock from my shoes and socks. Below is a view of the river from above.
Free Bird was packed up and hiking before me and I didn't see him until the final river crossing at the end of the day. I met Chocolate Chipmunk just as the river crossings began and we spent the day hiking together. She has also hiked the PCT and AT (I'm not worthy) and it was fun to share hiking stories as we sloshed through the river all day. She started the CDT the day before I did and we met briefly in Lordsburg as I was leaving for Silver City. Below is picture of Chocolate Chipmunk in the middle of one of the 50+ river crossings.
We are camped at Wildwood Retreat: $10 to tent camp includes a shower, restroom and an outlet to charge my phone. There is no cell service in the area, but I've heard Dr. Campbell's store has wifi service which will allow me to update my location and share more blogs posts. The store is about 1/4 mile away and opens at 9am tomorrow. Eva mailed a resupply box there and I need it! Tomorrow it's back to the Gila River for another 25 miles of river crossings!
Today I passed 200 miles on the CDT!!


You are doing great. Continue the grand adventure.
ReplyDeleteThat doesn't look like river crossing, it looks like river hiking! (Also I've been looking for my pics of the blisters I got on duty and I can't find them :/....yet!)
ReplyDelete