May 12-Day 16 / It's Pie Time!

Speed and I arrived in Pie Town around 1:00 pm, dropped our packs at the Toaster House and headed for the Pie-O-Neer pie shop. Pie and ice cream for lunch! Shower, laundry, and ice on my foot until dinner. Here is a group photo of the hikers currently staying at the Toaster House. On the far left is Free Bird, to my left are the two sets of brothers (cousins) from Montana and Pennsylvania. To my right is Speed and Canhaker.
Below is my foot wrapped with an ice pack and ace bandage. There is some swelling and pain at the ankle and lower part of my shin. I don't believe anything is broken. A stress fracture is possible, but I'm not convinced. I think it is a general overuse injury exacerbated by very tight muscles and a very heavy backpack due to carrying lots of water in the desert. I hope a day of rest will reduce the swelling and allow me to get hiking again. 
I'm going to zero in Pie Town (no hiking) on Friday and leave Saturday the 14th. Grants, New Mexico is my next destination. The following town, Cuba, New Mexico is where I will see EVA for the first time since I started hiking. That is powerful motivation to get better and get hiking! 😍


Comments