May 1-Day 5 / Rubber Meets The Road


The hike out of Lordsburg was on pavement and if thru-hikers complain about anything, it's a long road walk. I listened to music, took a few pictures, and rejoiced when my map said it was time to leave the road and crawl under a barbed wire cattle fence. I've had to do that a lot on the CDT and my hiking shorts have a small rip to prove it. 
Goosebumbs caught me just after lunch and Foxtrot soon followed. We struggled to stay on route and often had to bushwhack to get back to the trail after getting off track. The day's goal was a windmill water source at 18 miles. It seemed like a good idea to camp there, but it didn't turn out to be such a good idea. The wind kicked up during the night and the old windmill began to creak and grind making a loud eerie noise. I was glad when the sun finally began to rise and I could get moving again.
Approximately 5 miles before the infamous windmill, I reached the 100 mile mark. If I do that 28 more times, I'll be in Canada!

I arrived in Lordsburg one day ahead of schedule so I plan on taking a longer route to Silver City. Instead of 58 miles, this section will now be 76 miles. (If you check out the map on my website you'll notice at some point I'm off the normal route which gives me the extra miles.) Apparently hiking is not the shortest distance between two points since the driving distance between the two towns is only 45 miles!

Comments

  1. I saw you leave the trail, and we began praying. Glad to hear it was intentional. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know you are following along!