Course Correction

I wrote four more posts from the trail, and I'll post them over the next few days. Before I do, I thought it would be good to share my decision to take a break, let my feet heal, strengthen my ankles and shins and begin hiking again in 4-5 weeks. The hike out of Pie Town, New Mexico was dirt roads for 42 miles, but the final 34 miles into Grants, New Mexico was paved highway, and when I reached the pavement, I knew it was time to take a break. Pavement is very hard to hike on! I hitched a ride into Grants with a Navajo family that lives on a reservation just outside of Gallop, New Mexico. I spent a night in Grants and endured a 23 hour bus ride home on a Grayhound bus.

In addition to my injuries, hikers have been reporting serious amounts of snow in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. Posts in the CDT16 Facebook group by hikers ahead of me report conditions requiring snow shoes, crampons, ice axes and winter clothing. The most recent group to attempt the San Juan mountains in southern Colorado, turned back after three days. My plan is to return to the trail at the Canadian border and hike south back to New Mexico. By the time I reach Colorado, the snow should be gone and I should have a much more pleasant and safe hike.

A 2015 CDT hiker went missing last year and on Friday, May 13, his body was found by 2016 CDT hikers in a restroom in a remote campground near Chama, New Mexico. It appears he died of exposure. Here is a link to the local news article. It's a sad story and a reminder that hiking the CDT is a serious undertaking and not without risks. This is another reason I want to return to the trail in top physical condition and avoid the current snow conditions in Colorado.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has been reading my blog, praying for me and leaving me encouraging notes. It has been a real blessing to read your comments whenever I have cell service. I am not giving up, just taking time to rest, heal, and regroup. I am disappointed that I could not proceed with a continuous thru-hike, but the CDT is not an easy trail and flipping to Canada and hiking south is a common practice. The strong El NiƱo weather conditions this season have created a late snow season for the southern part of the trail and I expect many hikers will also be flipping in the coming weeks.

On the plus side, I'm home and with Eva for the first time in 21 days! It was great to see her, and I look forward to her great cooking, excellent back rubs, and sleeping in a bed! While I'm home I plan to write some additional blog posts about the trail and share some theological ideas I have pondered while hiking. It's so much easier to write when you have a keyboard!

Butter Fingers




Comments

  1. Butterfingers, emotional decision, but you have a plan B. You did the right thing. You need to listen to your body. We had it easy with snow on the PCT. I can't imagine hitting that stuff if your legs are not strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing the right thing. If I know one thing, it's that you WILL conquer this trail. Prayers for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart decision! Rest up. I know you'll be ready to be a SOBO soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though love be the #1 gift of our Lord, Wisdom runs the close 2nd. You are a Godly man full of love & wisdom. So glad you listened to His voice and will rest in Him until you hit the trail again, & we know you will go...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to back up a few blogs to see where you got hurt. I feel like I just got a spoiler alert. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pastor Chuck and I prayed last night that you would make the right decision for your safety. We are di glad you are safe and sound and will be ready to tackle the trail. You are more than a conqueror. I'm sure Eva is even more thrilled to have you home. Rook anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to hear you made the decision to take a well- deserved break. You need time to heal and I am sure you will go back on the trail much stronger and even more determined. I am keeping you in my prayers. I bet Eva is so thrilled to have you home and to be able to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proud of you and your courage to do the right thing even when it goes against your own plans. Praying for strength and health for you and Eva.
    Blessings Don and Deby

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is always hard to do the "hard thing" but it was the right thing to respect your limitations and respect the weather conditions. You will put your feet on this trail again soon... it's not going anywhere! CDT will be calling you out again and you have a wonderful plan in place to conquer her! In the meantime, "Heal! in Jesus name!" I know Eva would rather be spooning with you than the Holly dawg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ps. Loren, many would have too much pride to say they need to go home, rest, heal, regroup, and rethink their route. You made a Godly decision, and your obedience to His direction will gain you favor. John and I are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're my hero bro! Looking forward to your speedy recovery and more trail mix post!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know you are following along!