April 29-Day 3 / Are We There Yet?

I was up at 6:30 AM and was hiking at 7:30AM. A bit sore from the first two days but still excited.
I have one small blister on my right pinky toe. It feels much worse than it is. The key is trying to walk for another 20+ miles today and not make it any bigger or worse. I'm also struggling with a rash in an undisclosed, confidential and embarrassing location. (Sorry, no pics.)
It was another day of vast desert but with lots of wind and some clouds to keep things interesting. I had forgotten how dirty I get when I thru-hike, especially in the desert where water is only available for drinking. A fine coat of dust covers everything and wherever you perspire or apply sunscreen the layer gets thicker. It will be one more day before I can wash off all this dirt and grime.
Today was Damon's 40th birthday. Every time I saw him on trail he was smiling and said, "Best birthday ever." Goosebumps gave him some candy from her food bag and we sang happy birthday to him when we camped together in the evening. I'll celebrate my birthday on trail in June and hope to have some friends to celebrate with as well.

25 miles closer to Canada.

Comments

  1. Wow!!!!! Love it! Absolutely incredible! Your photos say a million words...its breathtaking. Although I can't help to think of all the snakes!! Yikes!! Do you have your Indiana Jones hat and whip? Sorry to hear about the toe and rash...hope they feel better. :(( Be safe out there Indiana!
    -Maria O

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks pretty awesome out there, but doesn't sound all that awesome :/ I'd still be down to do it though. For my birthday (June 23) I'm going white water rafting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks pretty awesome out there, but doesn't sound all that awesome :/ I'd still be down to do it though. For my birthday (June 23) I'm going white water rafting :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know you are following along!