The Adventure Begins

What day is it?
It's today, squeaked Piglet.
My favorite day, said Pooh. 
Winnie-the Pooh- A.A. Milne

My Continental Divide Trail hike begins TODAY! What will I be feeling on the long drive to the border? Many years ago, I ran the Napa Valley Marathon and I can remember the bus ride from the finish line to the starting line like it was yesterday. Sitting on the green school bus seat in my running shorts, my legs sticking to the vinyl seat. My race number pinned awkwardly to my shirt. My running shoes tied with double knots. I remember feeling like a boy again, nervous and unsure of myself, like I didn't belong on a bus with serious marathon runners. A few people on the bus were loud, outgoing and very excited, but most sat in silence. As I looked around the bus I realized just by looking in people's eyes that many felt just like I did.

How many hikers will be on the shuttle bus? Will they look at my backpack and laugh because it's not the same brand everyone else is using? Will we talk or just sit in silence as we contemplate the overwhelming task ahead of us? Will I meet someone I enjoy hiking with or will my 3,000 mile journey begin in solitude? Did I forget something? Will I get lost? What will the weather be like in the New Mexico desert? Will there be too much snow when I get to Colorado?  Can I hike fast enough to get to Canada before snow forces me out of the mountains?

Once I begin hiking, I know the questions and fears will quickly abate. With each sunrise will come the gift of another day of hiking. I will soon be at home again, living in the wilderness; comfortable with my gear, confident in my ability, and ready to embrace the challenges of both weather and land.

This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know that each day as I read your post that you will be a witness to me as Gods Glory shine through you. God bless you all the way. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so blessed by this and by you! Praying for your safety and God's amazing peace and joy in your daily adventures! Thank you for reminding me what life is truly about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know you are following along!