How does someone prepare to be gone from home for five months and hike 3,000 miles? I'm so glad you asked!
You make a to do list...a very long list...and you get to work! There are chores around the house that I normally take care of, and I make sure these things are covered while I am gone. I don't want Eva worried about paying bills, yardwork, vehicle repairs, or home maintenance. She has a list of people to contact if she needs help, and if you are on that list, I thank you in advance for your help while I am gone.
It's the little things that make a big difference: new batteries in remote controls and smoke detectors and new filters for the air conditioner and ice maker. I do my best to make sure everything is in perfect working order before I leave: vehicles, electronics, computers, electrical, plumbing, and appliances. We review our finances, the location of important documents, and our online accounts used for just about everything these days. Since going paperless in 2013 the amount of mail we receive has diminished dramatically. All of our bills are setup for auto pay and monthly statements delivered electronically. I'll file our taxes before I leave and spend any refund on double bacon cheese burgers during the hike!
Here is a link to some blog posts I wrote when I was preparing to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in 2014. If you were not following along back then, I encourage you to check them out. Keep calm and hike on!
You make a to do list...a very long list...and you get to work! There are chores around the house that I normally take care of, and I make sure these things are covered while I am gone. I don't want Eva worried about paying bills, yardwork, vehicle repairs, or home maintenance. She has a list of people to contact if she needs help, and if you are on that list, I thank you in advance for your help while I am gone.
It's the little things that make a big difference: new batteries in remote controls and smoke detectors and new filters for the air conditioner and ice maker. I do my best to make sure everything is in perfect working order before I leave: vehicles, electronics, computers, electrical, plumbing, and appliances. We review our finances, the location of important documents, and our online accounts used for just about everything these days. Since going paperless in 2013 the amount of mail we receive has diminished dramatically. All of our bills are setup for auto pay and monthly statements delivered electronically. I'll file our taxes before I leave and spend any refund on double bacon cheese burgers during the hike!
Here is a link to some blog posts I wrote when I was preparing to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in 2014. If you were not following along back then, I encourage you to check them out. Keep calm and hike on!

Comments
Post a Comment
Let me know you are following along!